Monday, August 13, 2007

Starbucks Stories - Resistance is Futile

Wednesday
While cruising around Reno with a friend of 20 years, I felt a sick sense of shame and delight with all the new Starbuck's that have opened there since I moved.

Barbi: Oooo there is a new Starbuck's on the corner of 7th and Keystone in my old neighborhood, oh how great it would have been if it was here before I moved.

Friend Kelley: No, no, no, we go to The Purple Coffee Bean. Starbuck's is an evil corporation taking over the little guys and the world.

Barbi: Resistance is futile, you and your freakin' purple bean whatever will succumb, take me there NOW.

Friday 8pm making the 725 mile drive back to Seattle
10 miles south of Portland

Barbi: OK the next exit we are getting off I5 for Starbucks

Sister Becky: There is no sign at that exit

Barbi: Starbuck's doesn't need a flippin' sign, they are everywhere, why waste profit on a sign?

I couldn't wait any longer than 10 minutes of sniffing out Starbuck's in suburbia Oregon. I pulled up to a Hollywood video and directed my sister: Go in and find out where Starbuck's is!

Becky returning: It is right behind you across the parking lot! Thanks, the video guy thought I was crazy.

Who cares what he thought, I knew we were close, it was those trees in the way causing the homing device malfunction.

No comments: