Tuesday, September 4, 2007

Sunday Recreation - we don't count as tourists





On Sunday Natharbi and family continued the biking and hiking journey. I want to tell you that I hopped on the bike and pedaled away like it was nothing but a thing. I had even planned on just not discussing the biking aspect of the day, but instead focus on the hiking.

But, it is a lot funnier to just come out and tell you that the second day I totally wussed out. I did jump on the bike with still aching knees and thought, "I haven't even moved yet and my bottom still really hurts from yesterday's bike ride!" I was concerned. I think I made it maybe a quarter of a mile on a gradual uphill before Nathaniel had to cheer me on. Already feeling over exertion set in, embarrassed, I stopped and announced I was waiting for Willie to come pick me up. I would pick up with the group on the hiking portion.

It was a good day for it, Willie needed some company while waiting and Nathaniel's bike broke about 30 minutes later so he road mine. I helped Willie navigate to the wait stops and heard to story about how Willie moved from Minnesota to Seattle right before it was time for his nap. Good thing the vehicle wasn't moved when that took him over.

We stopped for lunch and the riders had a rest then on to the hiking!

The waterfalls were beautiful. We went past Multnomah Falls which was infested with tourist and got a couple of photos then moved on to Horsetail Falls. Here we are on the inside cave side of Horsetail Falls.

The path edge was a really high cliff that was a little unnerving to walking on the outside edge. When we got to the top we saw a dedication plaque to a kid you died falling off the cliff. He was 14, wonder what the likelihood that Glenn was screwing around when he fell off. (And for anyone thinking that is disrespectful to the dead...cry me a river.)

There was another strange phenomena that occurred while we were out. I was often the lead going up hill while Tony brought up the end of the group. The reverse was to when going downhill. I was always at the back. Nathaniel decided that there was some mathematical weight propulsion rule coming into play here. In any downhill race, Tony wa the winner by a length.



1 comment:

Unknown said...

The orange shorts and Nathaniel's hat scare me!